Packing is a very personal thing; you could spend a small fortune buying up all those nifty travel items that you see in the shops! If you’re on a tight budget then please don’t feel the need to go overboard. You are normally able to buy most things that you need while you’re in Uganda, particularly in the main cities. Part of the challenge and charm of this trip is that you probably won’t have everything you consider necessary at home, so dive in and enjoy it!
We have listed some items that we think may be useful to take with you…
- Light weight shoes and/or trainers
- Sandals and or/flip flops
- Sun hat and sunglasses (with UV protection)
- Personal drink bottle
- Head torch (for use during power cuts)
- Camera/ binoculars (if you intent to go on a gorilla trek!)
- Wet wipes or waterless soap
- Padlock (to secure belongings when travelling)
- Insect repellent + mosquito net – these can be bought cheaply in country (optional)
- First Aid Kit including: Paracetamol, antiseptic wipes, plasters, water purifying tablets, sunscreen (high factor), malaria prophylactics
- Day rucksack/backpack
- Sleeping bag liner or sleeping bag (if you intend to travel around and camp in some places)
- Personal hygiene pack e.g.; toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo, toilet paper etc.
- Clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty . It is advisable to avoid revealing or provocative clothes while staying in local villages (short sleeve t-shirts and 3/4 length trousers/skirts are fine to wear)